As the release date for the new animated feature Postman Pat: The Movie approaches, more details are emerging about the plot and characters.
The 3D CG blockbuster is the first ever big screen outing for the perennial children's TV favourite, in which Pat is lured away from his regular life and into the world of TV talent competitions. Stephen Mangan gives voice to Greendale's beloved postie, with other cast including David Tennant, Rupert Grint and Jim Broadbent. Ronan Keating provides Pat's singing voice.
The apparently villainous character voiced by David Tennant as seen in the trailers is named Wilf. He is the devious showbiz manager of Josh Parkes(Rupert Grint), a teen singing sensation and Pat's main rival in the You're The One competition, hosted by Simon Cowbell (Robin Atkin Downes). Wilf will stop at nothing to ensure victory for his young protégé, even if that means removing Pat from the picture.
Add in a sinister army of robotic Postman Pats to the mix and it's clear that this is going to be the most exciting adventure ever for Pat and audiences young and old.
Postman Pat: the Movie
The film finds Pat, everyone’s favourite postman, coming face-to-face with the temptations of money, status and a shiny new suit when he enters a national TV talent show competition that threatens to tear him away from his hometown of Greendale and his family and friends. What happens when kindness meets selfishness? When local fame meets global notoriety? A nice cup of tea is kicked aside by a frappacappucino? Pat is set to find out as he falls for the age-old temptation of the grass being greener…
The film is released nationally in the UK on Friday 23rd May
View the trailer here:
- Stephen Mangan as Postman Pat
- Jim Broadbent as Mr. Brown; Pat’s boss and the CEO of Special Delivery Service
- Rupert Grint as Josh Parkes; contestant and Pat’s main competition on You’re The One
- David Tennant as Wilf; Josh’s show business manager
- Ronan Keating as Postman Pat’s singing voice
- Susan Duerden as Sara Clifton; Postman Pat’s wife
- Sandra Teles as Julian Clifton; the 7-year-old only child and son of Postman Pat and Sara Clifton
- Peter Woodward as Edwin Carbunkle; a diabolical new efficiency expert at SDS
- Robin Atkin Downes as Simon Cowbell; a parody of Simon Cowell; judge of You’re The One
The film is directed by animator and director Mike Disa, who also provides the voice of Jess the Cat